- About 6,400 people die every year in Mexico City, while up to a million more develop breathing problems due to air pollution
- In December 1952, fatal smog developed in London, killing 4,000 people and harming 8,000
- People who live in high-pollution areas have a 20% higher risk of death from lung cancer than those who do not live in high-pollution areas
- Air pollution from China has been found in central California
- In California, air pollution causes more deaths than car crashes
What can we do about this? Bike sharing is a great way to reduce air pollution by getting out of that car and getting onto that bike! For example, in Portland, Oregon, their bike-sharing program prevents the release of 9,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide each year. So support bike sharing, and save the planet too!